*

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Our Diet Starts Tomorrow

Two things you need to know about me:

1. I don't like the word diet.
via
2. I'm not interested in losing weight.

But for some reason, I have decided that Stephen and I need to do Whole 30 - starting tomorrow. Monday, April 20th. (Maybe it would be best for everyone to just stay away from us during the first few days so we can grump in peace.)

Here are the reasons:

1. I want a 6-pack. Not all the time, and I don't want to be a bodybuilder. Just when I flex, I want some lines.
2. I have heard really good things about it. Like that you feel more energetic, sleep better, get rid of unhealthy cravings....and yes people also lose weight and most of the time that's why they do Whole 30, but if you're just trying for a 6-pack, it will help you with that too.
3. We are going to Hawaii and need to LGmN (look good mostly naked).


4. I think I have a dependence on carbs. I could literally eat nothing but carbs for about a week and be perfectly content. I love macaroni and cheese, nothing is better than fresh bread, and when I'm feeling salty, I reach for chips and guac. I literally have rice, bread, tortillas, chips, or pasta with every single meal. And I'm curious to see how I feel without any of those things.

5. While in Hawaii, we are going to be doing lots of active things! Tons of hikes, swimming, and exploring in mountains, jungles, and the ocean. I don't want to miss out on things because I don't have the energy or the strength, or because I'm sore from the activities of the day before.

via
I think those are really good goals. They're like, good things to strive for. But here's the most common reaction I've gotten: "Why? You really don't need to."

Although I guess that's nice, it isn't very supportive. It's kind of like saying, "You already look fine so the one reason a person might have for wanting to eat healthy is irrelevant to you."

But come on! Shouldn't we all be interested in living a healthy lifestyle, whether we weigh 300 lbs or 100? And shouldn't your lifestyle be driven by more than just looks? (Although, I actually think looks are a fine motivation for eating healthy and working out....but please don't misunderstand that. I'm not encouraging extreme dieting or self-torture or eating disorders.)

To be honest, we aren't going to follow the program perfectly. Whole 30 says no to beans and legumes, but beans are good for you - they've got a lot of protein and fiber - and since we're not all that concerned about losing weight, we're going to eat the beans. Also, Whole 30 says no to honey - but occasionally, I'm going to add it to my breakfast smoothies.

Mood this weekend: I had a little panic attack and ate all the things. I acted like the world was about to be over! Stephen and I went to Pizza Pie Cafe to enjoy our last few carbs.

Stephen didn't seem nervous or excited. He was being very nonchalant.

Current mood: I feel fine. I'm actually really excited! I've never done anything like this.

Stephen, on the other hand, is wandering around the kitchen moaning about how I'm trying to kill him. He just ate about 10 sausages and an apple, and tried to eat a very expired granola bar before he decided he didn't need to stoop that low. I don't know what's got him so upset. We haven't even started yet....but maybe it's the fact that he just barely looked up Whole 30 and now he knows what it is.

Wish us luck!! We've all got goals, and it's nice to know that there are people out there who are cheering for you and hoping you'll succeed at your goals. What goals do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment