*

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Destination: Disney

There are lots of good things about living in Utah. The mountains are beautiful, my hair feels very happy here in the summertime, and we're this close to getting Google Fiber. But sometimes, you just need to take a break from your home, even if it's only for a weekend. 

Which is why, when Mickey Mouse emailed me 2 free tickets to Disneyland, we joyfully planned our trip for this last weekend. 

I thought that scheduling the trip for this weekend was the perfect idea, because it was right in the middle of my 3-week break at school, and Stephen had Monday off. Disneyland was sure to be practically empty if we went in February, and plus, it was Valentines Day weekend! What better way to celebrate than with a road trip? 

{As it turns out, everyone else had the same idea. But whatever.}

I also thought I would make Stephen's year and cancel Valentines Day, since we were just going to be driving all day on Friday anyway. I felt like a very benevolent and understanding wife when I told him, back in December, that we didn't need to do anything extra for Valentines Day. 

But then he took me seriously and I did not feel very benevolent anymore. So we'll be celebrating Valentines Day this weekend :) 

Anyway, we did celebrate a little bit on Friday morning. Our celebration looked like this:



All packed and ready to go! Sorry about the background.....
We drove and drove and drove until finally, we arrived in California. 

It was very hard to get a decent car pic.  



Whew, finally.
The first sighting of palm trees was very exciting! 
We stayed with Stephen's cousin and her family, who live just a half-hour from Disneyland and 15 minutes from Hermosa Beach. (Hashtag, dreamlife.) They were the sweetest hosts ever! I wish we had gotten a picture with them!

Here is how they greeted us.
There were also some balloons. Have you ever known such adorable people??
Saturday was Disneyland Day. We left a little later than we had hoped, but we still had a magical day doing mostly everything we wanted to. 




This is us in the maintenance elevator in the Tower of Terror. Stephen had no idea what was coming!

My favorite was this little kid who unfortunately got hidden behind the peace sign our Nike friend is threw up for the camera. He was so cute! He was right in front of us in line and he kept telling us how great this ride was. "You're bigger than 40 too, like me?" is how he introduced himself. 



We were having a hard time taking this picture ourselves until a nice lesbian couple offered to help.  Thanks again, ladies! 
Toy Story Mania is my favorite ride at Disneyland.
I'm only a little sad that Stephen beat me on it :/



As you can see, the whole take-a-picture-of-the-picture did not work out too well for us. But we continued to try it anyway. 
When it started getting dark, they roped off the area around the castle so no one could sit in the danger zone while fireworks were going off. There were two workers there making sure that no one went under the rope, and I knew that they would be willing to take a picture of us in front of the castle. 
 Our conversation went like this:

me: Could we just get a picture with the castle?
her: Unfortunately, no, we're roping this off for the fireworks show.
me: I know, I just was wondering if one of you could take a picture for us.
her: Oh sure! (handing her coworker my phone) They want a picture with the castle.
him: Oh okay! (He walks towards the castle. What?)
me: Well....we kind of wanted to be in it?
him: Oh! Sorry! (He turns his back to the castle and prepares to take the picture.
me: Oh, could we have the castle in the background?
him: Oh! Yes, sorry!

It was a very complicated thing to ask, I guess.
The fireworks were amazing. Phone pictures do not do them justice. 

We had to treat ourselves to this lovely Ghirardelli's peanut-butter chocolate sundae for dinner. Had to.  

After dinner, we watched World of Color. In the spirit of Valentines Day, Stephen held me on his shoulders. Also in the spirit of Valentines Day, I recorded most of the show so he could get a good view of it later. We are good valentines to each other :) 

Our next stop was Vegas! That adventure will be coming up in a future blog post :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment